George Buchanan (1506-1582) was born at The Moss, Killearn. Educated at Killearn, St. Andrews and Paris, he became a fluent linguist speaking Latin and Greek (superbly according to his pupil, James VI), in addition to French and his native Scots and Gaelic. He was a fluent translator of Hebrew and Spanish and may have spoken Italian.
Most popular posts (last 7 days)
- Deal on former Killearn Hospital gives green light for housing development 9 December 2022
- Man was knocked uconscious after yob hit him on head with beer bottle at village pub 16 November 2022
- Scots villagers pay tribute after death of legendary Harry Potter star Robbie Coltrane 19 October 2022
- Skies over Stirling lit up as residents report sightings of “massive meteor” 16 September 2022
- The four Scottish villages named among the ‘poshest’ places to live in UK 15 August 2022
Subscribe to the Killearn website via Email